Close this F.A.Q. page.

Division of Real Estate

Home Inspectors Frequently Asked Questions

View all answers
Q. What are the requirements for becoming licensed as a Home Inspector?

All Home Inspectors practicing in Illinois must be at least 21 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent course of study (GED). Each license applicant must successfully complete 60 hours of pre-license education from an education provider licensed by DFPR. After completing the 60-hour pre-license course, applicants must take and pass the Illinois Home Inspector License Exam. After passing the license exam, applicants must submit the application and fee.

Q. How can I sign up for a 60-hour Pre-License Course?

Contact an approved Pre-License Education Provider. Enrollment policies and registration fees for these courses vary from school to school. To view a list of approved Pre-License Education Providers visit the following website:


Q. Can I take a home study course for my Pre-License Education?

You may take a home study course from a Pre-License Education Provider after it has been approved by DFPR. Click the link in the question above for a list of Education Providers that provide home study courses. Please be advised that home study courses, like all Pre-License courses, are required to offer a minimum of 5 Field Inspection Events. This portion of the instruction requires on-site training (not home study).

Q. How do I register to take the licensure exam?

Register for the exam by calling AMP (Applied Measurement Professionals) at 800.345.6559 or by visiting AMP's website at Exams are given at several different locations throughout Illinois Monday through Saturday. AMP will provide you with information as to your nearest testing site and the available exam dates.

Q. What are the fees involved?

Pre-License Course Fees: Fees are set by the Education Provider.

Examination Fee: $125.00 (payable to AMP)

License Application Fee: $250.00 (payable to DFPR)

Q. What are the Continuing Education Requirements?

A licensee is required to fulfill a total of 12 hours of approved continuing education of which a minimum of 6 hours of continuing education must be approved as mandatory courses for each 2-year renewal cycle. Continuing education may be obtained anytime during the pre-renewal period. If a home inspector was issued an initial license for less than one year prior to the expiration of the license, then no continuing education is required for that renewal. If a home inspector has held a license for more than one year prior to the expiration, but less than two years, then 6 hours of approved continuing education of which a minimum of 3 hours of continuing education must be approved as a mandatory course is required.

Q. How do I renew my license?

Renewal forms will be mailed to each licensee approximately 60 days prior to the expiration of the license. The licensee must accurately complete the renewal application and send the renewal application, together with the required fee, to DFPR's Springfield office postmarked prior to the expiration of the license. If a renewal form is not received in the mail, it remains the responsibility of the licensee to file the renewal application. Note - Any person who fails to submit a renewal application within 2 years of the expiration date shall not be eligible to renew his or her license, and must meet the requirements of a new applicant. The licensee will also have the option to renew via Internet and telephone using a credit card. There is a surcharge for using a credit card to renew either online or by phone.

Q. Where do I find the license application for an individual Home Inspector?

After you pass the Illinois licensure examination, you will receive a "Pass Report" which serves as your licensure application form. You cannot access this form until after you pass the exam.

Q. Who needs to obtain a Home Inspector Entity License?

Home Inspection businesses operating in a form of a Corporation, a Partnership, or a Limited Liability Company (LLC). To download the Home Inspector Entity License application, click here: /realestate/Forms/HIEntityApp.pdf.

Q. How do I register under a different name (DBA)?

If a licensee operates under any name other than that appearing on his or her license, he or she shall submit to DFPR a certified copy of his or her registration under the Assumed Business Name Act [805 ILCS 405] at the time of application or within 30 days after the registration.

Consumers Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What does a Home Inspector do?

A Home Inspector examines and provides information regarding the condition of the systems and components of a home at the time of the home inspection. Illinois law requires all Home Inspectors to be licensed by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.

Q. How does a Home Inspector document his/her findings?

Home Inspector must submit a written inspection report to the client within 48 hours after completing the inspection.

Q. Can a Home Inspector advise me as to whether I should buy the inspected property?

No. A Home Inspector may not offer advice as to whether the client should engage in a transaction regarding the property, nor may a Home Inspector offer an opinion as to the value of the property.

Q. How can I file a complaint against a Home Inspector?

DFPR has a formal complaint intake process for members of the public. To file a complaint against a licensee of the Home Inspector profession, please download the Consumer Services Inquiry form at:

Q. Does the law require a home inspection to be performed before the purchase of a home?

No. It is an individual decision to have a home inspection performed, however, some financial institutions require and/or recommend that a home inspection be obtained prior to financing.

Q. How can I find out if a Home Inspector is licensed?

To find out if a particular Home Inspector is licensed, use the License Lookup feature on the DFPR website at:

Q. How can I obtain a complete listing of all licensed Home Inspectors?

For fee information regarding roster requests, email or call 217-785-7222.

Q. What do I have to do to become a FHA Inspector?

DFPR does not have anything to do with FHA approval. You should contact the Department of Housing & Urban Development.

Q. Does a FHA Inspector have to hold a state license?

Yes. Anyone performing home inspections in the State of Illinois has to be in licensed by DFPR and conform to the requirements established in the Home Inspector Licensing Act and Administrative Rule. (Does not apply to local governmental enforcement)

Q. Where do I get HUD forms?

Q. What does reciprocity mean?

Reciprocity is an agreement between two (2) states that they honor each other's licensing requirements. An Inspector licensed in one of these states can apply for a license in the other state without furnishing experience or education requirements.

Q. Do I need E&O insurance?

No. It is not required to obtain a home inspector license in Illinois.

Q. If I have a criminal background, can I get a license?

Yes, although determination for licensure depends on the criminal history of the applicant.

Q. I want to know the status of my complaint.

While an investigation is pending, the agency gives no status report, as the matter is confidential by Illinois law.